The Burgess School was the predecessor to
Notre Dame High School. This school was built in 1917.
ST. PATRICK'S SCHOOL
In 1902, through the untiring efforts of the Reverend E. D. Mackey and
the generosity of the parishioners and friends, ground was broken for
St. Patrick's School. Its site, at the corner of Madison Avenue and
Emery Street, is ideal.
The school is affiliated with St. Kieran's Church, and is under the
supervision of the Reverend E. D. Mackey, who is also pastor of the
church. Although primarily for children of the parish, it is
non-sectarian, and comprises among its graduates children of different
faiths and nationalities.
The erection of the building was started in 1902, and upon its
completion in 1903, it was considered one of the most impressive
structures for school purposes in the city. It is a brick building and
contains eight airy and spacious class rooms. Since its erection the
building has not been enlarged although several improvements have been
It was first opened for educational purposes in September, 1903. At that
time it was conducted by the Presentation Sisters, Mother John being the
Superior. At first only four grades were taught, but an additional room
was put in use each successive year, until the school consisted of eight
grades. The first enrollment was about one hundred ten pupils.
The first class graduated in 1908, a group of fourteen pupils, eight
girls and six boys. Many of the earlier graduates now have children
attending their Alma Mater.
In September, 1911, the Presentation Sisters were replaced by the
Sisters of Mercy, who have since been the instructors. The school then
registered about 290 pupils, but in three years the number of students
had increased to 525, which was as large a number as the school can
accommodate. Sister Alice was the first Sister of Mercy Superior, and
was followed by Sister Eugene, Sister Antonio (now deceased), Sister
Helena, and Sister Ruth, the present Superior. Sister Valerian has been
teaching at the school longer than any other Sister, having begun her
work there in September, 1914.
St. Patrick's School follows the same curriculum as the public schools
of the city. Its pupils are promoted to the different grades in strict
accordance with their ability, and its graduates procure a good
fundamental education which prepares them for secondary school work.
Berlin, New Hampshire Centennial 1829-1929
In 1918, a new parish formed by a
detachment of the Ste. Anne parishioners, was founded on the east side
of the Androscoggin River in Berlin.
By his zeal, the Reverend J. R. Leclerc, pastor of the new parish, soon
made possible the construction of brick building which is in the form of
the Roman numeral one. This building was dedicated to the use of the
parishioners as a parochial school under the name of "The Angel Guardian
On September 2, 1918, thirteen rooms were opened to the parishioners and
six hundred and fifty-six pupils attended school here under the
supervision of the nuns of the Presentation of Mary, who deserve a great
deal of credit for their efforts and splendid results.
In addition to the regular courses of the elementary grades typewriting,
music, and French are taught.
The school sessions are from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to
4:00 p.m. Two hours of this time are spent in French studies while the
rest is devoted to English subjects.
In 1922 a great event took place, the graduation of the first class of
sixteen pupils. Since then, graduation has been an annual affair, and
each year has seen an increase in the number of pupils.
Five new rooms have been opened, and this has made it possible for more
pupils to attend the school. The number now attending is a little more
than nine hundred.
Berlin, New Hampshire Centennial
ST. REGIS ACADEMY
On May 2, 1910, a contract was signed between the
Reverend C. J. Paradis, pastor of St. Anne's Church, and Mr. J.B.
Gilbert to build a new school for the benefit of the children of this
The children, who attended school in the old church, took an active part
in raising funds for this new building. On March 18, 1910, they
presented the pastor with a purse of eight hundred dollars, and two
months later, May 31, the Sisters in charge with their pupils offered an
additional sum of one thousand dollars.
On June 16, 1911, the Sisters opened the new school. The first
graduation in 1912 was, indeed, an important event to the pupils.
St. Regis Academy is built on Main Street opposite the Androscoggin
River. It contains twenty class rooms and one music room. French and
English are taught by the devoted Sisters of the Presentation of Mary.
In 1927, the Sisters held a convention at the Albert Theatre to unite
all their former pupils. The entertainment was given by the pupils of
the school, and speeches were made by some of the former students. A
bouquet of thirty-two roses was presented to Sister St. Loyola as a
token of appreciation for the thirty-two years she had devoted to the
interests of the children.
Berlin, New Hampshire Centennial 1829-1929
The Sisters of the Presentation of Mary
How many of us owe our early education to these devoted
sisters. The Presentation of Mary Sisters have been part of
Berlin's history since 1889 when they started teaching school in the
basement of the original St-Anne's church. Here's a list of the
schools in Berlin in which they taught.
St Regis Academy
Guardian Angel School
Notre Dame High School
Original high school (from a pen and ink drawing,
circa 1890)- When this school burnt down, it was replaced by the Burgess
Built in 1922
Built in 1906